In the last week of February, the Trump administration Departments of Justice (DOJ) and Education (DOE) rescinded the previous Administration’s DOJ and DOE guidance regarding Title IX protections for trans children.
It was a major attack on dignity, fairness, and the right to a safe and equal education for transgender students, and PFLAG was solidly in the lead, speaking out not only on the injustice of the move, but on ways to combat it.
For those who may have missed one of the many eblasts or blog posts or press releases shared, here is a full run-down of the week’s communications on this important issue.
- PFLAG National sent a message out to members and supporters in advance of the rescission, warning that we had good reason to believe it was coming...and what could be done in preparation.
- On February 22nd the guidance was officially rescinded. PFLAG National released a short statement to press from Interim Executive Director Beth Kohm, saying, “PFLAG hearts everywhere are with the worried parents who will be kept awake tonight, and the kids who will be scared to go to school in the morning. Tomorrow we will fight even harder for the protections that Title IX still affords all transgender youth across the country.”
- PFLAG immediately released an FAQ to answer PFLAGers’ most pressing questions regarding the rescission of the guidance.
- On February 23rd, PFLAG National announced that it was partnering once again with GLSEN to re-launch their shared 2009 Claim Your Rights initiative. PFLAG and GLSEN released a joint statement, and have posted continued updates, messages of support, and news stories on social media, using hashtags #ClaimYourRights and #PFLAGIsHere. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest.
- PFLAG shared on the website the most up-to-date information on the Claim Your Rights program.
- PFLAG added Claim Your Rights to the Take Action section of pflag.org, which serves as a clearinghouse for updated information, action items, resources, tools, and communications.
- PFLAG members and supporters were a highly visible source of support at protests across the country. Check out this story from Upworthy, chock full of beautiful images of PFLAGers taking a stand in support of trans youth. Additional coverage was included on Huffington Post, and the Advocate.
Remember: even though the guidance was rescinded, Title IX protections still exist; stay vigilant. Read the FAQ for detailed information.